Monday, August 30, 2010
27.08.10 Hotshots, blocked roads and the Jacksons
View Larger Map
Took off this morning with the weather much cooler than the past few days. With my morning mantra of "Stay right, stay right" still ringing in my ears, I got a nice surprise about 5 miles out of McCall where the roadworks meant I had to ride on the left side of the road - I felt more at home for those few miles than I have for the past 6 days :) There was also some smoke coming from the mountains - about 1 km of fires by the look of it - but still some distance from the road.
Again, the roads were awesome with a good portion of the day following a river that changed from being 100 m wide, to being not much more than a stream and then becoming a full on white water river. It reminded me of part of the Great Alpine Rd that follows a river for a bit. More incredible ranges, this time the Sawtooth Mountains. Very impressive stuff.
Before getting to the Sawtooth, I had to ride along a road that had been blocked the day before due to the wildfires. Just as I got there, they had re-opened it. There was still some smouldering tree trunks about 10 metres off the road as well as smoke everywhere. I think I was pretty lucky that I wasn't around her yesterday.
I'd seen a truck around that had Hotshots written on it and had thought that it was a coffee van. Later on I saw a heap more of them and realised that they must have something to do with fighting the fires. I've since found out that they're the best of the best firefighters. A bit later on I saw a tent city where there must've been 100+ tents - mainly 2 or 4 person tents, but with half a dozen marquees as well. I think the process over here is to evacuate first without waiting to see if they're going to burnt be out.
Throughout the day there were a few signs saying "Look for Rocks", then followed by "Don't Stop". Now, I've been riding a bike for the past few days with the only company being my incredibly fine singing voice. So what happens when I see "Don't Stop"? Two songs pop in my head that end up haunting me for the rest of the day. The first is the Jacksons' "Don't stop 'til you get enough", followed by MC Hammer's "Can't Stop This".. I know, it's the not the same, but it's what happened. Might have to look at using my iPod on the bike I think.
Today was supposed to be a 225 mile day, but of course, my fine navigating skills came to fore, so I did 260 miles. I really have to stop riding with my head up my arse and start looking at road signs a lot better.
I'm in Ketchum tonight which is the town that Ernest Hemingway lived and later committed suicide. Turns out one of his daughters also committed suicide here - nearly on the same day as his death. Other than that, Ketchum and nearby Sun Valley, are just about full on ski resort towns. Pretty amazing looking place - like most that I've seen, but there seems to be a lot of 'money' here. Along with the standard array of SUV's, there is a lot more Porsche Cayenne's and 911s, BMW X5s and 750s etc. For a town of 4500, it sure has a tonne of restaurants. This place must be huge in winter.
Enough for now.. cheers, Marty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment