Tuesday, September 7, 2010

05-06.09.2010 Two days of heaven on a bike

Pic - Wyoming, near Pinedale

The past two days have been clear days with blue skies with a bit of cloud around. The mornings have been really fresh, but by afternoon have warmed up nicely.

Saturday night in Salmon we had quite a nice lightning display. My room backed onto the Salmon River which is about 30 metres wide and flows quite quick - it's relatively shallow, but because of the rocks underneath, it looks like it's on the boil all the time. The river would've only been 10 metres from my room - you could hear it all night - it was quite soothing. On the other side of the river was pretty much nothing, until the mountain range. All this allowed a great view of all the fork lightning about - from cloud to cloud and cloud to earth. I tried to put the rain out of my mind for tomorrow.




View Larger Map
Last of the maps - next 2 days are a repeat of the first two

What do you know, the morning is freezing and there's dark clouds everywhere. Once I was told I was mad, another time I was told that I'd "better have your dri-rider's on".. thanks for the advice guys. I saddled up and was to follow the Salmon Scenic Byway from Salmon to McCall, both in Idaho. Somehow I missed all the rain, and only had to contend with a damp, but rapidly drying road, for the first part of the morning. Most of the trip was fantastic, following the Salmon River which has carved out a gorge over the past x thousands of years. So once again, I've been forced to endure a ride along a winding and twisting river gorge that follows a fantastic river/stream, with cliffs and hills covered in pines and firs. It's a tough life. The best part of these roads is that they aren't the main highways, and are definitely not the interstates, so there's relatively few people on them. Heaven!

I got to pass through the Sawtooth Mountain range again, so from here on in, I'm retracing my route from the beginning of the ride - not a bad thing in that the roads are great, but still, I can't help thinking that it's all nearly over.

Sunday night I stayed in McCall at the same hotel that I had the previous time, nearly two weeks ago. The concierge recognised me and greeted me by name, which was a bit surprising. The next morning is another fresh one and the bike even has a bit of frost on it. At 7am, it was -1 deg C!! The hotel must have a fantastic heating system, as I didn't have a clue and slept without a blanket most of the night. I rug up for what is another great ride through more river gorges etc etc etc. Just as I exit the township of McCall I startle a few deer that are strolling across the road.

I have to go through the same area where I was pulled over two weeks ago, so take it pretty easy. Just as well, as there are cops everywhere. Just as I see a State Patrol go by, I see another car pulled over by the local Sheriff, and then about 2 miles later, I see another Sheriff that has just finished booking someone, do a 180 and chase down someone else! So, if you're ever travelling through or near Grangeville - take it easy!

At lunch I have a look at The Age on my Blackberry and see that Bill Perry from Charlton has scored himself top billing! Looks like the place is fairly well flooded - worse than I've seen before, and according to the locals, the worst in 100 years. Hell of a way to break a drought - if it has.

After lunch I get to do Rattlesnake Grade (I don't know how this will be highlighted, but if you want to see a bit about that road, click Rattlesnake Grade) again - that's the area that has 200 corners in 10 or 20 miles. I had another great time, although was held up a bit by an RV that wouldn't pull over into the slow vehicle turnouts - I guess he didn't know who was behind him :)

And so here I am in Joseph, Oregon, in the same B&B that I was two weeks ago. Next stop is Bend where I drop off the bike - after 360 miles. This time should be a bit easier as the forecast is for a mild day of mid 60's.

Last day tomorrow :(

1 comment:

  1. Rocky Mountain Hiiiiiigh
    Hey Wicksy, sounds like things are going ok other than drawing to a close. Intersting you mention Lake Placid & giant aligators, I would have thought exactly the same.
    Well over and out, back to work.

    ReplyDelete